SAME Café Board of Directors Information 8/2015
SAME Cafe is seeking a candidate to expand the board. The new Director could take office in the fall of 2015 or January of 2016.
• Read more about Board service here
• Contact one of the members of the Board of Directors for more information, if needed
• Submit your resume and statement of candidacy ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Board Service”
• Recommend a potential candidate to the Board of Directors.
Deadline for Statements of Candidacy and Resume: October 31, 2015
Interviews: October/Novermber(if needed)
Directors Vote: December meeting
Current Board of Directors:
Lisa Cheney-Philp – Vice President
Ben Gerig – president
Patricia Bernard – treasurer
Bonita Felden – secretary
INFORMATION REGARDING SERVICE ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Who should apply?
Anyone with an interest in contributing significant time and
talent to Board matters should apply. The Board’s most significant needs vary from
year to year, but we seek to have a diverse pool of candidates for current and future
What is the purpose of the Board? The Board is responsible for the financial stability of the organization and ensuring the mission and vision of SAME Café are the driving force behind all decisions and actions.
What types of things does the Board do?
• Develop and adopt an annual budget
• Develop and organize fundraising activities
• Hire, set salary, and evaluate Executive Director
• Serve as advisors to operations
• Provide specific expertise based on board member experience
• Help founders meet the requirements of the IRS
The Board does not oversee the day-to-day operation of the café or hire other employees.
What is the size of the Board? The Board currently has 7 members.
What is the time commitment?
• The Board meets for 1.5-2 hours every month. Meetings are usually held at 6:00 p.m. on the second Monday of every month.
• Read the orientation packet that is given to each board member that details the history of SAME Cafe.
• Volunteer in the kitchen on a regular basis (1 day every 6 weeks or the equivalent of 12 hours a quarter)
• Attend at least one major fundraising event each year (Golf tournament, poker tournament, etc.)
• Set an example for other potential donors in the community by contributing or raising larger donations, annually, themselves
• Be informed of laws and procedures pertaining to SAME Cafe
• Attend all board meetings and serve on one committee
What other types of commitments are there? Each board member is an ambassador, advocate, and asker!
What positions are currently open? Currently, we are looking to expand the board. The term of the new position can expire in 2017, 2018 or 2019 depending on the length of term chosen (1, 2 or 3 years).
Although circumstances sometimes change, directors are expected to complete their full term and to consider serving an additional term, if requested.
What is the process? After a Statement of Candidacy and a resume are submitted, candidates are interviewed by the founders of the cafe, which then make a recommendation to the Board. The Board then votes.
What is a Statement of Candidacy? A short explanation of why you think you would be a good fit and an asset to the SAME Café Board of Directors.
Other Information: Copies of the café’s mission statement, philosophy, diversity statement and conflict of interest policy are available on request. Please contact SAME Cafe to review any of these documents or a copy of the current Bylaws.