SAME Café Board of Directors Information 1/2011
SAME Cafe is seeking candidates for an open position with an accounting emphasis. The new Director will take office on April 27, 2011. This Director position will fulfill an already existing three-year term.
- Read more about Board service on the following pages
- Contact one of the members of the Board of Directors for more information if needed
- Submit your resume and statement of candidacy by March 4, 2011
- Recommend a potential candidate to the Board of Directors.
Deadline for Statements of Candidacy and Resume: March 4, 2011
Interviews: March 14, 2011(if needed)
Directors Vote: Week of March 21, 2011
Current Board of Directors:
Casimir Bemski firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Novak email@example.com
Scott Brairton firstname.lastname@example.org
Libby Birky email@example.com
Barb Horst firstname.lastname@example.org
Brad Birky email@example.com
INFORMATION REGARDING SERVICE ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Who should apply? Anyone with an interest in contributing significant time and
talent to Board matters should apply. The Board’s most significant needs vary from
year to year, but we seek to have a diverse pool of candidates for current and future
openings. This year we are focusing on finances and want to add a board member who has an accounting or finance background.
What is the purpose of the Board? The Board is responsible for the financial stability of the organization and ensuring the mission and vision of SAME Café are the driving force behind all decisions and actions.
What types of things does the Board do?
- Develop and adopt an annual budget
- Develop and organize fundraising activities
- Hire, set salary, and evaluate the Operations Manager
- Serve as advisors to operations
- Provide specific expertise based on board member experience
- Help founders meet the requirements of the IRS
The Board does not oversee the day-to-day operation of the café or hire other employees.
What is the size of the Board? The Board has 7 members.
What is the time commitment?
- The Board meets for 2 – 3 hours every quarter. Meetings are usually held at 5 p.m. on the last Wednesday of January, April, July, October.
- Read the orientation packet that is given to each board member that details the history of SAME Cafe.
- Volunteer in the kitchen on a regular basis (1 day every 6 weeks or the equivalent of 12 hours a quarter)
- Attend at least one major fundraising event each year (Golf tournament, poker tournament, etc.)
- Set an example for other potential donors in the community by contributing or raising larger donations, annually, themselves
- Be informed of laws and procedures pertaining to SAME Cafe
- Attend all board meetings and serve on one committee
What other types of commitments are there? Each board member is an ambassador, advocate, and asker!
What positions are currently open? Currently, there is one open position on the Board. The term of that open position will expire in July 2012.
Although circumstances sometimes change, Trustees are expected to complete their full term and to consider serving an additional term, if requested.
What is the process? After a Statement of Candidacy and a resume are submitted, candidates are interviewed by the founders of the cafe, which then make a recommendation to the Board. The Board then votes.
What is a Statement of Candidacy? A short explanation of why you think you would be a good fit and an asset to the SAME Café Board of Directors.
Other Information: Copies of the café’s mission statement, philosophy, diversity statement and conflict of interest policy are available on request. Please contact SAME Cafe to review any of these documents or a copy of the current Bylaws.